During winter, cold temperatures do impact Alachua County. When freezing temperatures, or low wind chills are expected, the National Weather Service will issue warnings or advisories.
Cold Weather Safety Tips:
- Stay indoors and use safe heating sources.
- Be aware of the fire danger from space heaters and candles, keep such devises away from all flammable materials such as curtains and furniture, and install recommended smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Indoors, do not use charcoal or other fuel-burning devices, such as grills that produce carbon monoxide. Install at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home.
- Outdoors, stay dry and in wind protected areas.
- Wear multiple layers of loose-fitting warm clothing.
- Do not remain long in idling vehicles that produce carbon monoxide, especially in a closed garage.
- Drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids and eat high-caloric foods.