This press release put out at the request of the Alachua County Health Department.
ALACHUA COUNTY, FL - The Alachua County Health Department (ACHD) urges all residents to get the flu vaccine and to take precautions to limit their risk of exposure to seasonal flu, an infection of the respiratory tract caused by the influenza virus. “Getting the flu vaccine is the most effective means of preventing infection from influenza” stated Paul Myers, Administrator of the Alachua County Health Department. “Flu activity is increasing across the state and nation and it’s not too late to protect yourself, family and friends from the flu.”
The ACHD will be conducting two more Flu Clinics at the Health Department, located at 224 SE 24th Street, Gainesville, on January 15 and 16, 2013, from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
If your child missed the intra nasal FluMist® at school, they can still receive the vaccine for free at these clinics. Health Department clients can get the flu shot for free and non-clients can get the flu shot for $25 (many insurance plans cover the cost). For additional information call 334-7913.
Symptoms of the flu include headache, fever, a severe cough, runny nose or body aches. Contact your physician if these symptoms appear.
The Florida Department of Health urges the following preventive steps for the flu:
· Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
· Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
· Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way.
· Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
· If you are sick with flu–like illness, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone, without the use of fever-reducing medicine, except to get medical care or for other necessities.
· Get re-vaccinated EVERY YEAR because flu viruses change each year.
The goal of the Alachua County Health Department is to promote, protect, maintain and improve health and safety of all the citizens and visitors