ALACHUA COUNTY, FL - Alachua County Senior Services is partnering with Exactech and North Florida Regional Medical Center to participate with the United Way of North Central Florida and Books-a-Million in a Children's Book Drive. The goal is to collect 10,000 new and gently used books for children ages birth to six.
"We are collecting books because learning starts long before school does, and reading is important to improving school readiness and graduation rates. Books will be used to create libraries for families and child care centers," says Norma Berger, Coordinator, Alachua County Foster Grandparents Program.
Books-a-Million is offering coupons worth 20% off regularly priced children's books to help purchase books in conjunction with the drive. Foster Grandparent and RSVP volunteers will be at Books-a-Million (811 West Newberry Road, Gainesville) on August 1, 2009, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. reading books to children as part of the book drive.
Books will be collected between July 25 and August 8, 2009. To donate new or gently used books, visit any of the following drop off locations:
- Books-a-Million (6111 West Newberry Road, Gainesville)
- Alachua County Community Support Services (218 SE 24th Street, Gainesville)
- Alachua County Communications Office (12 SE 1st Street, Gainesville)
- Alachua County Visitors and Convention Bureau (30 East University Ave., Gainesville)
- Exactech, Inc. (2320 NW 66th Court, Gainesville)
- North Florida Regional Medical Center (6500 Newberry Road, Gainesville)
For a "wish list" of recommended titles, click here.
For more information, or the Books-a-Million coupon, contact Norma Berger, Coordinator, Alachua County Foster Grandparents Program at 352-264-6757 or firstname.lastname@example.org.