Indigent Burials or Cremations
The goal of the Indigent Burial and Cremation program is to provide a dignified burial or cremation of decedents who die in Alachua County.
Alachua County has adopted a "Cremation Preferred Policy" which means that such service shall be through the use of cremation, except where prohibited by law or regulations; unknown or unclaimed persons; or where a relative has expressed a preference for burial.*
*County will provide the equivalent value of the cost of a cremation towards the cost of the burial.
NOTE: All cremations and burials must be completed through the County's contracted vendor.
Eligible residents may be eligible to receive a RTS day bus pass to access public transportation for medical and/or work related reasons.
Urgent Special Needs
The Urgent Special Needs program offers assistance for items and services that are not offered through any other sources. Limitations may apply on all services.
NOTE: Federal, State, and other local resources must be accessed prior to use of this service. Program is payor of last resort.
Health and Wellness
Limited Medical Supplies
ACDSS will assist eligible client obtain medical supplies. Client must not be eligible for any other insurance. Exclusions apply.
NOTE: Federal, State, and local resources must be accessed prior to the use of these funds.
Alachua Cares - Access to Primary Core Services and Prescription Assistance
Primary physician care may be available for eligible persons including diagnostic testing and lab work. ACDSS will assist eligible clients with limited prescription assistance by helping to pay for their medications. Client must not be eligible for any other insurance. Exclusions apply.
NOTE: Applicants may apply for primary care access and prescription assistance separately; if only one or the other is needed.
Vision Exams and Eyeglasses
ACDSS will assist applicants with accessing vision exam and eyeglasses. This service is available once every two years.
Waiver Assessment Services
Animal Services Fee Waiver
between ACDSS and Alachua County Animal Services to grant a fee waiver
allowing indigent persons to reclaim their pets. Exclusions may apply;
once in a lifetime.
Assessment Hardship Exemption Program
Assessment Hardship Assistance Program will provide a waiver of
assessment fees for qualified low-income homeowners in Alachua County
for Solid Waste, Stormwater, and Fire. There is one streamlined
application for all assessments.
For an Assessment Hardship Exemption Fillable Application Packet to complete, please contact Social Services at 352-264-6750 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following items are needed when applying for assistance:
- Social Security Cards for household
- Proof of identity (driver's license, photo I.D.)
- Proof of Alachua County residency (rent receipt, utility bills, school/employment records, Food Stamp certification)
- Birth Certificate; if born outside of the United States, proof of legal residency
- Proof of gross income for all household members for past 60 days
- Proof of current assets (bank/credit union statements, CD's, retirement funds, cash value of life insurance, stocks, bonds, trust funds, non-homestead property, etc.)
- If no income, a contribution statement from family members or friends who have been providing you with help
- Status of any other assistance you have applied for (WAGES, SSI/SSA, Unemployment, Worker's Compensation, Victim Of Crimes)
- Status of any pending legal action
- Shelter statement/Lease
- Utility bill
- If applying for health services, will need documentation pertaining to Medicaid, Medicare, and/or Health Insurance Market Place.