This office receives a copy of every Alachua County Veterans DD 214 (military discharge paper) who uses this county as their home of record upon entering the military. These DD 214's are kept on file and are available for copying if needed.
Certain benefits carry over immediately after discharge and expire within a short timeframe. For instance, a Veteran has 90 days from discharge to register with the VA Hospital for a one-time dental examination (if not provided by the military before discharge) and treatment. A Veteran has 120 days to convert their Service Group Life Insurance over to Veterans Group Life Insurance. It is recommended that a Veteran contact our office to discuss these and other benefits shortly after they are discharged from active duty.
These benefits made be applied for through face-to-face in office interviews or home/hospital/nursing home visitations. Call and speak with a counselor to determine which interview process best suites you.
Veteran Claims Counselors assist in filing for many benefits administered by the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs, the Florida Department of Veteran's Affairs or Alachua County. These benefits include but are not limited to the following:
- Adaptive Equipment: grants for home improvements for severely disabled
- Aid and Attendance: assistance for those confined to home/hospital/nursing home
- Appeals: guidance in appealing any decision made by the VA
- Automobile Grants: grants for auto equipment for severely disabled
- Burial Benefits: assistance with burial/plot expenses
- Clothing Allowance: annual clothing assistance for service connected disabled Veterans
- Death/Widows Pension: financial assistance for surviving spouses of wartime Veterans
- Dependents Benefits: extra benefits for children of disabled Veterans
- Disability Compensation: financial assistance for those injured in line of duty
- Education Benefits: guidance in applying for higher education benefits
- Home Loans: assistance in receiving certificate of eligibility
- Hospital/Medical Care: assistance in enrolling with VA Medical Care
- Pension Benefits: financial assistance for eligible wartime era Veterans
- Vocational Rehabilitation: training for employment/education