The Alachua County 2020 Charter Review Commission (CRC) will meet on Wednesday, January 8, 2020, at 5:30 p.m. in the Jack Durrance Auditorium (room 209), located on the second floor of the Alachua County Administration Building (12 S.E. 1st Street, downtown Gainesville). The public is encouraged to attend and submit ideas for Charter Amendments.
In 1986, the electorate established a home rule charter for Alachua County. This gave the County the full local home rule benefits afforded by the Constitution of the State of Florida. Every ten years the CRC reviews the Charter and proposes amendments or revisions for placement on the general election ballot, which in the case of this CRC would be the November 2020 ballot.
The members of the 2020 CRC are Penny Wheat (Chair), Joe Little (Vice-Chair), Douglas Bernal, K. Richard Blount, Scott Camil, Eric Drummond, James Ingle, Pradeep Kumar, Erroll “Stanley” Richardson, Tamara Robbins, James Thompson, and Kristen Young.
The meeting agenda includes:
- Discussion with Mark Sexton, Director of Communications
- December 11 Presentations – CRC Member questions
- December 11 Tabled Motion – Commissioner Thompson moved and Commissioner Robbins seconded that the Charter Review Commission shall clearly indicate to the Board of County Commissioners and the Supervisor of Elections its preferred order of appearance on ballot for proposed amendments
- Review of Workplan/Timeline
- Review of submitted proposals
The public is encouraged to attend the meeting. The meeting will be available to view on Cox Cable Channel 12, Facebook Live
, and the County’s Video on Demand