Starting a Home-Based Business is great way to supplement or replace your current income. In order to have a home-based business an application must be made to the Alachua County Building Department. General home-based businesses are allowed in any established residence, while Rural Home-Based Businesses are allowed only in the Agriculture zoning district.
General Home-Based Business Requirements
- Only persons living at the residence may work at the home.
- No more than 20% of the floor area of the residence may be used for the business.
- Visitation Hours are restricted to the hours of 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- There can be no more than six customer visits in a day
- Up to two additional parking spaces may be provided and must use the existing driveway for the site.
- The permit is good for two years and costs $70.
- Only one commercial vehicle and trailer may be parked on the
site. Commercial vehicles cannot exceed 10,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight
- See this page for more detailed information
Rural Home-Based Business Requirements
Allowed as an accessory use to a legal
residential use in the Agriculture (A) zoning district, subject to
administrative plan approval and in accordance with the following
- In addition to residents of the home, up to three additional employees may be allowed at the site.
- The lot must be at least three acres in size.
- No more than 20% of the floor area of the residence may be
used for the business, and the business may be conducted in an accessory
- Visitation and delivery hours are restricted to 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Up to three additional parking space may be provided and must use the existing driveway for the site.
- Up to three one-ton capacity commercial vehicles may be parked on the site, including any customer vehicles parked for repair.
- Landscaping shall be required to screen off-street parking or storage areas
- This type of home-based business must be approved by Development Review Staff.
- See this page for more detailed information.
- Follow this link to the application for a Rural Home Based Business Permit.
- The application will require a site plan to be submitted with the application that demonstrates how requirements are met.
- The initial permit costs $600 and is good for two years, but can be renewed thereafter for $70 every two years.
- For more information contact the Development Review Staff at (352) 374-5249.