Marihelen has been married to Dr. Paul Wheeler, a local marriage and family therapist, for 25 years. Dr. Wheeler is the owner/director of the Gestalt Center in Gainesville. Marihelen is mother to 3 sons and mentor, surrogate mom to many local and Kentucky children she has worked with over the years. The Wheelers have also served as host family to many Japanese students in past years and continue to have strong family ties with those children abroad.
In addition to her family and professional duties, Marihelen has worked with a variety of local arts and environmental groups. Some of those include:
- Alachua County Education Association , member, 1994-present
- Gainesville Community Playhouse Board member, costume designer 1992-2012
- Santa Fe Lake Dwellers Board member, secretary 2005 - present
- Delta Kappa Gamma, Gamma Xi Chapter, member 2012-present
- Florida Wildlife Care, Education Coordinator, 2013-present, volunteer for 15 years
- District Coordinator CIR NOWFL03- Comprehensive Immigration Reform NOW
- IAIJ member, Interfaith Alliance for Immigrant Justice 2013-present
Her activist work has included 8 years of working with a variety of water groups in Florida to control water quality and quantity in the region. She has been an outspoken advocate for water conservation of rivers and springs as well as our coastal waters. It was her conviction to correct problems with educational testing practices and water conservation issues that compelled her to become a candidate in the 2012 election for Florida House of Representatives from District 20.