Child Support FAQs

​​How Can I Verify a Payment Was Received?

If you would like to inquire as to the last payment and amount, you may call (877) 769-0251. The automated attendant will instruct you as to how to input your nine digit case number and social security number to retrieve this information.

Can I Send The Payment Directly To My Spouse?

If your Court order states that child support is to be paid through the State of Florida Disbursement Unit, you must comply with that order. Failure to do so can constitute contempt. If you wish to have the original order modified, you will need to file the proper paperwork for a modification in accordance with the Florida Statute and Family Law Rules of Procedure.

What If I Can't Pay the Amount Ordered?

Florida Law states that child support can be reduced or increased only if a substantial change of circumstance has occurred. This modification may be requested by either the respondent or the petitioner. A court hearing is required for a modification which means a pleading making the request must be filed in the court case where the child support was order in accordance with the Family Law Rules of Procedure. There are forms available on the Florida State Courts System's Self-Help Center.

My Former Spouse Is Not Paying Support, What Can I Do?

The Clerk’s office has very little power to enforce the payment of child support. Gainesville Child Support and Social Service Office, located at 5719 NW 13th Street Gainesville, FL 32653,, and the telephone number is (850) 622-5437. Your personal attorney can also enforce your child support rights.

How Can I Have My Support Taken Out of My Paycheck?

If you are making support payments and want your employer to process the payment for you, the Clerk’s office has petitions for Income Deduction Orders available. The petition can be filed with the Clerk’s Office to be submitted to the Judge’s office. Upon receipt of the signed Order from the Judge, an Order will be sent to your employer. You should continue to make your payments yourself until the Order is processed by your employer.

My Former Spouse Doesn't Make Regular Payments. How Can I Get Payments Taken Out of Their Paycheck?

If you receive child support payments and want to implement an Income Deduction Order, you would have to file the proper paperwork to petition the court for an Income Deduction Order in accordance with Florida Statues and Rules of Procedure.

What Age Do My Children Have to Be Before I Can Stop Paying Child Support?

In Florida, child support terminates at age 18. However, support may continue if the child is still in high school and will graduate prior to age 19, or support has otherwise been ordered to continue.